Friday, November 23, 2012

Lynn Open Studios

The artist at Lynn Open Studios with an ikon of Apollo, other ikons behind. (photo by Seth Albaum/Lynn Happens.com)






My first time participating in open studios was a good one. It was the kick in the tail I needed to finish my portfolio, get this blog started, and it gave me a work space for the day to start and finish the Apollo Ikon. My 'table' did have a few visitors who asked questions about the work, and seemed sincerely interested. 

I would like to thank Jocelyn Almy Testa and Seth Albaum for publicizing my work. Mostly, though, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to my friends who came to support me...(in order of appearance) model/fellow artist/kindred spirit, rock star, Mark Duchane, Boston Rock legend of Slow Children and Boys Say Go Fame, now co-founder of James Straight and the Wide Stance, Reverend Joe Fagan and his beautiful wife, photographer Leslie Wissing. Next, much to my pleasant surprise, came my wonderful student Stefanie Proudfoot-McBride. Then, ending the day, my friends, models and beauties arrived; the co-founders of Booze Epoque, Harmony Dawn and Meaghan Sinclair, and erudite intellectual, wit and future Artemis model, Jennifer Thompson. We packed up, loaded the Harmony-mobile and headed over to The Blue Ox to hoist a few celebratory artisan cocktails with Jocelyn and her husband Jeff.

With Thanksgiving preparations fast on the heels of open studios, I did not have much time to decompress and consider the event's successes and shortcomings. Also, because I was in the J.B. Blood Building from start to finish, I really couldn't see what was going on in the rest of the venues or how many visitors were on the streets. We all agreed, however, that there is room for improvement and this is already in the works. Jocelyn has signed many artists for next year and started forming committees to ensure a successful Open Studios '13. I will support Open Studios next year whether I am in Lynn, or back in Europe. It is a monumental event and intrinsic to the improvement of the City of Lynn and her image.

No comments:

Post a Comment